Saturday, June 13, 2009

Happy 125th Birthday Park City!


In 1884, a little, rebellious mining mountain town in the middle of the Utah territory of the United States mainland (Utah did not join the Union until 1896) incorporated to become its own city. The first name of this city was Parley's Park. Citizens changed the name of the city shortly thereafter to "Park City". These days the town is commonly referred to as "The Independent Republic of Park City". On Saturday, June 13th the town celebrated its 125th birthday with a makeshift parade, a block party, several bands, including Sam Bush, and lots of fun! I participated in the parade as the President of the Park City Rotary Club. Sister Mary Ann, Sister Suzanne, and Father Bob also participated, representing St. Mary's Church, a Park City staple since 1881. Happy Birthday Park City!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes...Happy Birthday Park City!!Interesting facts Joe, THANKS Teague

Sara said...

Great picture, Mayor Joe. The nuns in habit bring back my SMC days.

Tracey said...

Too bad Billy B. couldn't share PC's birthday. Hope you're all hanging in there. I know that when Marin's "due date" passed I became a little impatient, to say the least.......I remember just being SOOOO eager to meet her. Billy B, like Marin, will be WELL worth the wait :) We can't wait to meet him too! We're thinking about you guys constantly.... keep us posted.