Thursday, May 29, 2008

George W. visits Park City!

Park City has been swarming with the Secret Service since Saturday, preparing for the President's arrival here last night. He had a fundraiser for McCain at Mitt Romney's home in Deer Valley last night and stayed at the Stein Erikson. Joe and I decided that we'd prefer to spend $70,ooo on something other than a dinner for two! :)

The helicopters flew right over our house this morning and landed at the middle school behind us to pick up President Bush, and I got some videos (not the greatest videography work, but it's something!). I took this one from our driveway as they were arriving.



I then started walking toward the middle school to get a little closer. People were coming out of their houses in their pajamas, with kids, with dogs, on bikes -- it was quite the neighborhood attraction! The schools all had a late start day to accomodate the road closures and helicopter landings.


A few people were gathered along the street to see him drive by in the motorcade. I acutally saw him waving through the window (unless it was a secret service decoy!). Some kids were "protesting" with their homemade signs, but other than that, people were very respectful and honored to have the chance to host the President in our city (regardless of political views and opinions, it's pretty cool to have the President of the United States practically land in your backyard!).




We couldn't get close enough to see him go from the car to the helicopter, but we could see the helicopters taking off. It was amazing how much security was here, and I can't imagine the logistics necessary when the President visits a big city! Joe even got stuck heading to work on his 1 mile commute!


1 comment:

Woods Family said...

You make all of our blogs so boring now!!!! The videos were great!!