Thursday, May 07, 2009

Cereal . . . the key to Life!


I know that we live in America. And I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and free to do as they please. And I know it can be very dangerous to push one's religious beliefs on others or attempt to influence one's political views. Yet, I feel compelled to take a hard stance when it comes to breakfast--cereal, in particular. I have been eating breakfast for the better part of 35 years, and recently (the past 6 months) I have ventured on a quest to discover the ultimate cereal. I am not talking about Fruity Pebbles, Lucky Charms, or Cocoa Puffs. I am talking about real cereals with real nutrition! For years I have been eating Honey Bunch of Oats (HBO)--a classic and a no doubt, first ballot Hall of Famer. However, all good things grow old. And such has been the fate of HBO. In recent trips to the grocery store Kelly has been forced to drag me, sometimes kicking and screaming, from the cereal aisle, after I have studied various cereal box labels for 15-20 minutes. I am here to tell you today that my search is over! I recently found the holy grail of cereals in none other than our not-so-local (Salt Lake City) Costco. Blueberry Pecan Cereal with Natural Flavor by Kirkland is hands down the best damn cereal I have ever consumed. Not only does it taste down right delicious, it has the nutrients and grains to keep your body fully nourished until lunchtime. Additionally, Blueberry Pecan can sit in milk for hours and not get soggy at all. And thus, I declare whole-heartedly and with my strongest conviction that Blueberry Pecan Cereal is my Cereal of the Year and quite possibly Cereal of the Century. Buy a box at your local Costco! Try it! You may agree with me!

10 comments:

suerita said...

now that was just mean...no costco any where close to South Bend....next visit you must bring this amazing cereal!!!

Woods Family said...

Hey how much sugar can you add to it to make it taste good to kids???? Just kidding.

Kelly said...

Yes, he is truly obsessed with cereal. Thank goodness he found something to end the quest for now!

Brigid and Kyle said...

I guess that's what happens when you are raised in and around the cereal capitol of the world - Battle Creek! I get bored too easily and must have at least 5 different kinds of cereal in the cupboard at all times. And, I have finally gotten over Cap't Crunch with Crunch Berries - just can't eat them any more! My kids like bran flakes and rice krispies - how unlike me!!

Anonymous said...

I disagree.....Wheat-Chex is far better and just as healthy (I really don't know that as a fact!!) and it tastes great and is less filling. Teague

Marcy said...

Joe, I guess you could have worse obsessions. I haven't purchased cereal in years...beside not getting soggy you have not convinced me. I think cereal is overpriced, that is all we ate growing up, and it is hard to eat in the car (my breakfast location of choice)! Maybe when I come for a visit this summer y'all can take me to Costco. Till then, bagels on the go I guess.

Tom & Tracey said...

LONG LIVE COSTCO!!! I dream of the day when I might be so lucky as to live within a reasonable distance of Costco (preferably the Mission Valley location)...... I'd also like to add that next to Joe I am probably the world's #2 cereal fan. I think I could eat it for every meal if that were nutritionally viable. Will definitely pick up a box of the blueberry pecan next time we venture to B-ham for a Costco fix (and an Aunt Sara and Uncle Greg fix too :))
ps - this is Tracey, not Boog.

Tom & Tracey said...

This is Boog. And after enjoying Blueberry Pecan Cereal with Natural Flavor by Kirkland I have to go back to my ultimate favorite, Oatmeal Squares by Quaker. With an eye-popping 5 grams of dietary fiber per serving, it is just what I need in the morning. It does not, however, stay crunchy for very long. But that's okay because, after one taste, you'll want to eat it quickly. Not too sweet, never heavy.

Holly said...

Don't you have a job and a pregnant wife to take care of? Who cares this much about cereal?!?!? :-)

Anonymous said...

Joe--
Get a life...

Suggestion: Avoid serving the acorn, pine cone, straw & seeds cereal to Bill Bob or you'll pay in the form of present in his diaper.

-John